Athey Creek Missionary Support
At Athey Creek, we have the opportunity as a congregation to support and pray for the work of missionaries that are connected with other missions organizations. Join us in praying for them and support these people as they share and minister the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the nations.
After a decade of Bible teaching and pastoral ministry, the Ashmens are now engaging the hundreds of Islam-to-Christian converts in Sweden. The war in Syria, the conditions in North Africa, and the appeal of life in the nanny state of Sweden conflate to produce a massive influx of refugees to Scandinavia. Around 1/4 of a million refugees have reached the shores of Sweden in recent years. For a country with only 9 million residents, this means that nearly 1 in every 40 people now living in the country is new to the culture, struggling with the language and hopefully ready to embrace newness. Partnering with Athey Creek and several other organizations, the Ashmens are refocusing a local bible school to teach, train, and integrate newly converted refugees into the Swedish context.
- Praise the Lord for the spiritual awakening this crisis has caused among many believers.
- Pray for the Swedish state church; that they would remain biblical faithful as they are thrust into this leadership role.
- Pray for those persecuted here. Many Middle Eastern brothers and sisters continue to receive threats on their lives and well being.
- Pray for the Ashmens; pray for strength, wisdom, and clarity as they navigate the uncertainty of such a ministry.
- Pray for their kids; Eleri, Adalyn, and Evangeline as they are being raised in the most secular context in the world.
Wycliffe Bible Translation, Brazil
Mike and Kelli Anderson work in Brazil with an isolated indigenous language group called the “Curto” people. The Curto do not have the Bible in their language. Mike and Kelli are working to learn their intricate language from scratch. They are also assisting the community in developing a writing system and literacy materials in their language. In addition, they are currently working on a set of oral Bible stories as a first step in introducing the Gospel.
- Praise the Lord that Mike recently completed his master’s degree in Language and Culture Studies with emphasis in Literacy.
- Praise the Lord for the Curtos’ positive response to the oral Bible stories and for new believers.
- Please continue to pray for open hearts in this Bible translation project.
- Please pray for a Curto family currently attending Bible school.